Skins:How to not have a see through Skin(simple/56K Beware)

Tutorials for the PC version of Halo 1.
Elite_Green_Devils

Skins:How to not have a see through Skin(simple/56K Beware)

Post by Elite_Green_Devils »

alright, this tut is mainly for those that have trouble with their skins. for future reference, in a DXT1 dds file, full black will NOT work because it translates to transparent.
So you made an awesome skin, made fake bump-maps or your skin, imported in game and then found out there was holes in it making it see-thru. this tut will fix that, with your skin being able to have your black areas black.
1. you start to freak out because your skin looks like this:
not to worry, this is merely a simple error. all you need to do is replace this:
with this:

and not to worry, this will make no difference in color ingame, as the cubemap will cover it up and mix it.
2. to get rid of all of the black go here:
once you click,something should pop up. first click the color in the Selection Box and fill it with the original black. then, click the color box in the Replacement Box and fill it with the new black i gave to you.

3.doing this should have created an Alpha layer, but before you delete it, the is something you need to do. select the alpha layer from channels:

now choose the magic wand tool, and change the tolerance to 0 and click on the white. the right-click and choose select inverse. now back in the channels area, click the RGB and use the paint brush to paint out all the remaining black with your new DXT1 safe black. now delete the Alpha channel and save and import. now the skin looks much cleaner.

but if this is too time consuming, there is another way:
1.download convim download
2. make your skin, save as dds with the mip maps(if required)
3.convert your skin to DDS DXT1(dds to dds) using convim
4. import into game and enjoy! :D
Pepsi wrote:when converting CE>PC, HEK is like a catholic girl which needs alot of coaxing to get there, but harbinger is like a hot red head always willing to go
I'm Back, Baby!