How To Skin HaloPC by Pepsi

Tutorials for the PC version of Halo 1.
DEEhunter

Post by DEEhunter »

Since when does halo 1 support normal maps? I thought it only ran on black and white bump maps.

Deviantart | My City | Wmclan | Gamertag | [url=irc://irc.halomods.com/melon]#melon[/url]
Pepsi

Snitch! Wordewatician 500

Post by Pepsi »

Added a new section for ui editing and expanded a little on how editing the Halo logo is done with with renders and placement.
Cryticfarm

Post by Cryticfarm »

I would just like to say.
DXT1 -> DXT1 RGB 4 bpp no alpha - Used on weapons, vehicles, most scenery. Basically objects and crap that use multipupose maps. Wait, then wouldn't it be like, things that run on shader models?
DXT2/DXT3 -> DXT3 ARGB 8 bpp explicit alpha - Used on environment bitmaps for cube mapping ect. They are also on random decals that need alphas.
X8R8G8B8 -> X.8.8.8 XRGB 32 bpp unsigned - Used on normal maps cause they run at 32 bit color but they don't need a alpha.
A8R8G8B8 -> 8.8.8.8 ARGB 32 bpp unsigned - Used on HUD and such, anything that runs on 32 bit color and needs a alpha.
R5G6B5 -> 5.6.5 RGB 16 bpp unsigned - Used on I think, detail maps and some random multi's. Oh and lightmaps.
DXT4/DXT5 -> DXT5 ARGB 8 bpp interpolated alpha - Use alpha gradients. Used for things which alphas are not really noisy and more smooth such as glass.
A1R5G5B5 -> 1.5.5.5 ARGB 16 bpp unsigned - I think it's the same as DXT 1 except for the fact that the alpha has to be white or black. Doesn't say this in HMT but you can always check by going into the channels and checking if theres a alpha on your DXT 1. Some random bitmaps have this, or was it possible on all DXT1's.
StinkyDiaper
Readers Club

Post by StinkyDiaper »

Hey dude great tutorial. I especially like the UI part. However, i can never edit my halo logo. I try to and it says "Unexpected error while opening file" and I have the dds plugin and I can open other .dds files. But the halo logo is the only one. Can you please help me with this.
Loor

Post by Loor »

Yeah, the logo never works for me to.

It always comes up with a "reverse" blue mask. The bits that shouldn't be transparent, are. Its ugly.
Cryticfarm

Post by Cryticfarm »

DXT 1's can have alphas. They just can only be black and white. I mean solid black and white.