Bitmap Editing - Creating Custom Sized Bitmaps and Submaps

Tutorials for the Xbox version of Halo 2.
click16

Location: in a room on my computer, school, friends houses, many other places!

Bitmap Editing - Creating Custom Sized Bitmaps and Submaps

Post by click16 »

Hello welcome to my tutorial telling you how create custom sized bitmaps and sub-maps

Explanation:
Bitmap sizes - I'm sure everyone knows what the sizes are. Some sizes in halo are: 128x128, 256x256, 512x512
Sub-Maps - Sub-maps are bitmap data contained in one bitmap tag. For example, cross-hairs: They contain many bitmaps in one bitmap tag.

What you will need:
Entity Ultimate Edition v1.6
Ch2r
Entity 1.3.9 (for duplicating or chunk cloning tags)
Photoshop / Gimp Shop
Bitmap Plug-in >>Download<< Credits to demonic sandwich
Clean Shared.map

I HAVE TESTED THIS AND YES, THIS DOES IN FACT WORK!!!

Section 1 - Finding a Bitmap + Custom Sizing it

1. Open your map in Entity. (1.3.9 or UE .1.6) (I will use bevercreek.map)
2. Go to the Bitmap Texture Tag-class.
3. Select a bitmap you would like to custom size and or add sub-maps to that has the desired format. (i will use an ARGB 8888 Bitmap format.)
NOTE: If you are using a bitmap for HUD then you have to do an extra step that will come later.
4. Extract the bitmap that you selected. After its extracted, Internalize it.
5. Go to the meta editor.
6. Under "Sprite Budget size" and "Sprite Budget Count" are the color plate width and height. Change them to whatever you would like. TAKE NOTE ON THE ORIGINAL SIZE!
7. If you scroll down more, you will find a section called "Bitmap Data" In the section you will find "Width" and "Height" again, change them to what you want.
8. Click the save button.
NOTE: Every time you click the bitmap, it may give you an error... to fix this, inject a bitmap that has the
size that you created. (just make the alpha white completely and the RGB Black)

Section 2 - Adding Sub-maps

1. Go to the 'Reference Editor' and go to the 'Tags' tab.
2. Go to: ui\hud\bitmaps\new_hud\backgrounds\motion_sensor.
3. Right click on the grid, select 'Clone Chunk'
4. IF YOU WANT TO USE SUB-MAP DO THE FOLLOWING STEPS. Select Sequences and press 'Copy to clipboard'.
5. Find the bitmap you re-sized, go to the 'Chunk Cloner' Select "Name" and press 'Add To Reflexive or Chunk'
6. Click 'Expand all nodes' For as many bitmaps you want in the bitmap, you need to duplicate or delete the bitmap data and sequences. make the amount of bitmaps you want in your tag the same amount of sequences and bitmap data.
5. Click 'Add Meta To map'
6. Duplicate your bitmap. Name it whatever you want.

Section 3 - Restoring the original bitmap

1. Open the original bitmap Go to the chunk cloner Delete the Sequences and delete all of the bitmap data until you have one remaining. Click 'Add Meta To Map'
2. Go to the meta editor and change the sizes back to the regular size and inject the backup bitmap.
3. Use entity's save feature to save your new bitmap. copy a clean version of the map. open shared.map and go to the bitmap you used. If it looks normal then you don't need to copy a clean shared.map, but if it errors or looks corrupt, copy a clean shared.map

Section 4 - Injecting into sub-maps

1. Open your clean map in Entity. Build your bitmap into the map.
2. Close entity and open the map in Ch2r.
3. Locate your bitmap. Go to the meta editor.
4. Create the bitmap you want in Photoshop.
5. Inject what you want into the sub-maps.
6. Close Ch2r and open your map with Entity Ultimate Edition.

Section 5 - Linking to object

1. Check your bitmap in entity. Use the bitmap editor to look at your bitmap chunks make sure they are correct.
2. Link the new bitmap to whatever it is that you want.

Sign FTP and Test.

Here is what i ended up with:
I slightly edited the bitmaps to make the meter look rounded more at the end and re-positioned the bitmaps on the HUD. NOTE I didn't re-position it for the Elite HUD.

Download patch >>Here<<