I've been invited to become a pseudo teacher

Discuss whatever you want about video games and gaming in general. Be nice though.. fanboys will get a swift kick in the nuts.
metkillerjoe

Wordewatician 500

I've been invited to become a pseudo teacher

Post by metkillerjoe »

Yeah, this scares me. I'm not really that great of a 3d modeler, but apparently, a lot of people, including my librarian who runs the animation club, told me that they like me work and so they'd like me to come in to the animation club and show people how its done.

Since this is school, I'll be using Gmax, which is a better alternative to 3ds max than blender is. I'm also going to be using the HEK and try to get these guys to make some stuff (if they ever do).

Couple of things I want to ask:

-I chatted the the librarian and she brought up a good point - why use a proprietary format for models, bsps, textures, etc? I told her that its because each engine needs data optimized for its code (sort of like a puzzle piece. This is just what I've deduced using reasoning (and maybe I'm wrong).

So, that's a concept I'd like to clear.

Also, if these guys started modeling levels, what tutorials should I start them on? I followed Kirk's tutorials on level design, but it seems that many people disagree with that kind of method nowadays.

So, any tips on what I should show these guys/teach these guys first?
xbox

Blacksmith

Post by xbox »

I would teach them how to do a basic indoor level, thats how I learned the unreal engine. [which has modeling capabilities similar to gmax for creating levels]
But yeah, I was at an iD tech camp and they thought the stuff I was doing was extremely amazing but it was basic compared to some of the halo stuff I have seen.
CompKronos

Wordewatician 250

Post by CompKronos »

xbox wrote:I would teach them how to do a basic indoor level, thats how I learned the unreal engine. [which has modeling capabilities similar to gmax for creating levels]
But yeah, I was at an iD tech camp and they thought the stuff I was doing was extremely amazing but it was basic compared to some of the halo stuff I have seen.
your an iD tech graduate, me too! wow i thought no one else went there. I made a cheat chicken in Warcraft 3 that could raise the dead never ran out of mana was invulnerable and shot a giant wave out of its head that killed everything, it also had destroyer form that did nothing but eventually killed the chicken which meant the chicken would then spawn 2 kodo beasts and when they dided they would spawn 2 kodo beasts and so on. And that was advanced. Also tried to make my own elite model but it came out really quite messed up.

back on topic: i would start with the box first if they have little or no experience using a 3d modeler a box is quite simple to grasp and then add little enhancements so they can get an idea of scale and grasp the "feel" of modeling/engine. If there are more advanced students i would have them sketch out an idea for a symmetrical map, and have them tweak for ctf.
I <3 rant thread
metkillerjoe

Wordewatician 500

Post by metkillerjoe »

They'd be the former.