College Essay

Off topic chat. Basically anything that doesn't concern halo or halo modding can go here.
WaeV

Advisor

College Essay

Post by WaeV »

Prompt:
Describe a character in fiction, a historical figure, or a creative work (as in art, music, science, etc.) that has had an influence on you, and explain that influence.

Essay:
I first met Howard Roark in an armchair near the fire at my dad's house in Maine. My friend Casey had loaned me a copy of Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead just a few days earlier. I instantly appreciated Roark, and as I later told Casey, it was the first time upon reading of a main character's successes I wanted to stand up and clap my hands.
Later, while reflecting on why Roark had such an impression on me, I realized that the greatest of his successes closely mirror those achievements of mine which I hold in the highest regard. Roark's first real project, the construction of the Heller house, is a good example. He does not add useless columns, false arches, or other purposeless decor with the intent to impress. Instead, the building is designed to fit the needs of the landscape and in turn the needs of the client who selected that landscape. Roark's buildings are to trees as Roark is to a bonsai master, who guides his structures towards the perfect product he envisions for each setting.
While reflecting on that chapter I was strongly reminded of one of my private QBASIC projects. Using the simple set point command and QBASIC's 16 colors, I managed to create a fullscreen paint-style program complete with over 160 unique colors. Given my personal goal and QBASIC's cold logic, the program evolved to fit the form of the language just as Roark's building fit the needs of the landscape. That they perform their given tasks in innovative ways while preserving their integrity of design is what makes them beautiful. Even though my program has no specific purpose, I am proud of the fact that I was able to supersede the intent of the language without compromising it. Years down the road when I am coding for IBM, Novell, or perhaps my own start-up, I hope to stand for the beauty of programming as passionately as Roark does for architecture.
Yet Roark represents not only clean design and clarity of focus, but for doing what one enjoys in life. As he stated, “I do not build in order to get clients, I get clients in order to build.” I have always enjoyed constructing more than the construction itself, and I plan to program for a career not because of the pay, but because I love doing it. Though I am happy to present a well-written application, I hope I have inherited Roark's attitude. My QBASIC teacher once said, “It takes a special type of person to enjoy scanning code over and over to find that one critical bug,” and I like to think he was addressing me. Some tasks can be menial, to be sure, but it's all just part of the process. Having to work for something often makes it that much more enjoyable. When I know my goal and the rules of engagement it's as though the rest of the world falls away – it's just me and the program, however I choose to shape it.
bcnipod

Post by bcnipod »

Common App essay prompt?

I like the essay. I too wrote about my introductions to programming. Such nerds aren't we :P
Twitter: Dirk Gently | Major lulz
Mr. Brightside: Worst mod I've seen since 'Nam.
Website
FleetAdmiralBacon

Critic Pyre Articulatist 500

Post by FleetAdmiralBacon »

bcnipod wrote:Common App essay prompt?

I like the essay. I too wrote about my introductions to programming. Such nerds aren't we :P
Didn't we all? It's the one skill we have, so let's tout it.
Last edited by FleetAdmiralBacon on Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything you'll ever need to know about me.
Need help with Linux, C#, C, Python, Java, PHP, Javascript, CSS, or VB? I'm available from 3:00PM-8:00PM EST on weekdays.
WaeV

Advisor

Post by WaeV »

Yes, it's common app. I hope to submit it today.

Though what a useful skill it is. :wink: