What is the EASIEST weapon editor for a noob!?

Discuss Halo 2 modding, progress on figuring things out, mapfiles...you know the drill. Cheating discussion not allowed.
dan72588

What is the EASIEST weapon editor for a noob!?

Post by dan72588 »

Hi, i tried the dothalo program and it gives me a bunch of wierd language like .jlpt .weap, etc.

So i was just wondering the easiest weapon editor that maybe would ask you what projectile you would want to shoot out of a pistol or something like that, because i wanted an automatic pistol that shot out sticky grenades, a sniper rifle that shot them out too, etc. But all of the ones i saw were too complex for my little mind

thanks
Atticus_Nair

Post by Atticus_Nair »

i would say dothalo, and there not wierd languages, there tags, and in dothalo it has the name of the tag right beside of it, so if you look in the tags window, and see something, read directly to the right, and if your swaping dependencies and see something you dont know what it is, look in the tags windows, trust me, dot halo is very easy to understand compared to others, its what i started out on

Edit : Man i cant type

For this ill use Dothalo v1.0b3.0

Quick tut :
(Follow the picture)
For your auto pistol with sticky projectiles:
1. Go to the [weap] tag, and find your magnum, click on it, and it should say at the bottom, reading Meta, then reading dependancies.
2. Once thats done, you go into the window called dependancies/Lone Id's/reflexives
3. make sure your editing dependancies
4. In that window, find the projectile tag (proj)
5. Swap it with the proj : objects/weapons/projectiles/plasma_gernade or something like that, its easy to find
6. Do the same for the sniper

For The Auto part
1. Still in the [weap] tag for the magnum, but now in the window entitled tag Editor, scroll down untill you see firing type, click the drop down box and select 0.
2. Make sure you click the radio button that says Fully automatic under all of the gunk.
3. Now scroll down too projectile(left side of my picture) and again, drop that box down, and select 0.
4. Male sure you make shots per burst 0 (or it will shoot with a deley inbetween each bullet)
5. you should be done, and i hope i didnt forget anything.
dan72588

Post by dan72588 »

thanks alot, that wasn't too bad for me too do, and good QUICK tut.
Atticus_Nair

Post by Atticus_Nair »

no problem man, and thanks (i felt the sarcasm)
dan72588

Post by dan72588 »

ok, i just now tried editing the info you gave me like projectile 0, fully automatic , and then save changes in the tag not tag editor and i look at it and it erases all my stuff for some reason like all the info i just edited. I was able to save the projectile though. why won't it let me save the tags?
AFuzySquirrel

Wordewatician 250

Post by AFuzySquirrel »

wut are you talking about. you cant edit tags. only the info. thats aall you need to do.
Atticus_Nair

Post by Atticus_Nair »

dan72588 wrote:ok, i just now tried editing the info you gave me like projectile 0, fully automatic , and then save changes in the tag not tag editor and i look at it and it erases all my stuff for some reason like all the info i just edited. I was able to save the projectile though. why won't it let me save the tags?
you have to save changes like the projectile, you have to save it in the dependancies/lone Id's window, individually if you need to edit more than 1
dan72588

Post by dan72588 »

thanks atticus
Prey

Connoisseur Snitch! Pyre Articulatist 500

Post by Prey »

wtf guys?
Atticus_Nair wrote:i would say dothalo,
1. Slow.
2. Difficult, boring UI.
3. Doesn't display null dependencies.
4. Manually scans meta.
5. Normally distributed with totally outdated plugins, making it very limited.
Atticus_Nair wrote:and there not wierd languages, there tags
No, jpt! and weap are classes..
AFuzySquirrel wrote:wut are you talking about. you cant edit tags. only the info. thats aall you need to do.
More like what are you talking about. Of course you can edit fucking tags, the 'info' is the tag!

Your better suited using ADI/H2X for such tasks, or even entity (even though it manages to over complicate it..). I would say actually your best option is my profane beta piece of crap, found here.
Halo 2 Prophet - Skin with ease with the simple 3D point and click interface.
Halo 3 Research Thread - Contribute to the research into Halo 3.
Atticus_Nair

Post by Atticus_Nair »

Prey wrote:1. Slow.
2. Difficult, boring UI.
3. Doesn't display null dependencies.
4. Manually scans meta.
5. Normally distributed with totally outdated plugins, making it very limited.

No, jpt! and weap are classes..
I was just saying if he had used dot halo before, it wouldnt be anything new really, and i was never told what everything was really called, ive just kinda went along with some of the things on here
DJ_Gnomey

Connoisseur

Post by DJ_Gnomey »

Prey wrote:wtf guys?
Ah Prey, making my day easier by posting what I would have (actually, I would have only recommended ADI and Entity Alpha seeing to they are the easiest editors IMO, then again, I haven't taken a look at your Profane beta).

Well I one hundred percent agree with Prey obviously...lol
dan72588

Post by dan72588 »

Hey Atticus (or anyone else who knows) but how do i make the guns fire plasma grenades? I did swap the projectile of the guns and saved them and yes when i push the trigger button a plasma grenade comes out of it, but it drops to the floor....how do i fix this? thanks
kibito87

Stylist Connoisseur Advisor Bloodhound
Droplet Articulatist 500

Post by kibito87 »

dan72588 wrote:Hey Atticus (or anyone else who knows) but how do i make the guns fire plasma grenades? I did swap the projectile of the guns and saved them and yes when i push the trigger button a plasma grenade comes out of it, but it drops to the floor....how do i fix this? thanks
Give it the attributes of a bullet. What I used to do (haven't done stuff like this in awhile) was, compare maybe a smg bullet to my current projectile *which would be your Plasma nade* and edit it's properties to be the same as the smg's bullet. As in it's weight/arc and speed and whatever else there is.
koekoek

Post by koekoek »

To make a grenade travel a distance when shot out of a gun u must edit the speed of the grenade.

The best would be 10 or 20 to put in the maximum speed and minimum speed.

Oh, and use H2Edit it is way easier than dothalo.
When the game is great.... The gamer has to be greater.
Such is the rule of honor.
DarkMetal

Post by DarkMetal »

Prey wrote:No, jpt! and weap are classes..

More like what are you talking about. Of course you can edit *** tags, the 'info' is the tag!
By reading those statements, I see how much you actually know about the tag system. And it's not a lot.
kibito87

Stylist Connoisseur Advisor Bloodhound
Droplet Articulatist 500

Post by kibito87 »

koekoek wrote:To make a grenade travel a distance when shot out of a gun u must edit the speed of the grenade.

The best would be 10 or 20 to put in the maximum speed and minimum speed.

Oh, and use H2Edit it is way easier than dothalo.
Dothalo is great for beginners and seasoned users. There's no point in h2edit...it's just a stripped down beta of Dothalo.
koekoek

Post by koekoek »

It is way way easier to use.
When the game is great.... The gamer has to be greater.
Such is the rule of honor.
Prey

Connoisseur Snitch! Pyre Articulatist 500

Post by Prey »

Rofl dothalo is H2Edits predecessor.
DarkMetal wrote:By reading those statements, I see how much you actually know about the tag system. And it's not a lot.
That'll be then why I've made several applications that edit halo2 maps, do explain.
Halo 2 Prophet - Skin with ease with the simple 3D point and click interface.
Halo 3 Research Thread - Contribute to the research into Halo 3.
CaptainPoopface

Artisan Advisor Literarian 250

Post by CaptainPoopface »

Please use the "search" feature. This is a very basic thing you're looking to do, probably the first thing people try. I'm sure there are many tutorials out there, written at a basic level.

Also, I advise against posting this or any other projectile swap mod in the Downloads section. Projectile swaps are a severe flame hazard these days.
DarkMetal

Post by DarkMetal »

Prey wrote:That'll be then why I've made several applications that edit halo2 maps, do explain.
Trend following, you do what has been done before. Think about some of the things the pioneers had to do to give the information you copy into your applications. Try reading up on the way the tag system works, you might learn something.