Modeling Problem

Discuss stuff related to HaloCE (for modding, go to the HEK General forum).
kibito87

Stylist Connoisseur Advisor Bloodhound
Droplet Articulatist 500

Modeling Problem

Post by kibito87 »

I'm trying to create a bsp and I keep getting stuck on an area where it I shouldn't. It's annoying and frustrating me. Each time I highlighted the bottom part of my mesh and modify it by way of displacing. I then import my heightmap and set the strength to 50 but it doesn't actually show the terrain changed at all. Like this picture, this is what I get when I add a heightmap with a strength of 50. The area in yellow shows what it looks like.

So what am I doing wrong or what else do I need to do to get my heightmap to actually display what the map's basic layout will be.
Cryticfarm

Post by Cryticfarm »

Are y ou sure your heightmap is selected. are you polygons selected?
L0d3x

Articulatist 250

Post by L0d3x »

Did you actually tesselate your mesh?
kibito87

Droplet Articulatist 500

Post by kibito87 »

Cryticfarm wrote:Are y ou sure your heightmap is selected. are you polygons selected?
Yes and Yes.
L0d3x wrote:Did you actually tesselate your mesh?
I havent gotten that far in the tutorial i'm using by FireDragon04.

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?pg=3&fid=1529
Smapla

Post by Smapla »

if you are trying to use the displace modifer to make a flat plane have ups and downs corresponding to your height map, then the plane will have to be subdivided many times

you may be trying to apply the height map to a single rectangle, which wouldn't do much at all

if you've ever seen one of those toys, the two plexiglass plates with many dull nails in between which can move, this is similar.

edit: what we mean by tesselate the mesh is actually done differently in the tutorial... he creates a box with many width and length segments. tesselating the mesh creates fewer triangles

you probably created a box with 1x1x1 segments
kibito87

Droplet Articulatist 500

Post by kibito87 »

Smapla wrote:edit: what we mean by tesselate the mesh is actually done differently in the tutorial... he creates a box with many width and length segments. tesselating the mesh creates fewer triangles

you probably created a box with 1x1x1 segments
Yeah, awhile back I did use the tesselate feature. This time i'm doing it this way. And I think you are correct in saying I created a box with 1x1x1 segments. I may have forgotten to do that each time whenever I started over or wanted a different heightmap. Thank you very much.