Rebuilding Help

Post here about scripting and programming for HaloPC (audio, network, ai, etc.)

Ever seen this error before?

Yes
No votes
No
100%

Total votes: 3

Philly

Collaborator

Rebuilding Help

Post by Philly »

This is an error that I recieve when I tried to rebuild b40.
It occurs the same time every time I rebuild, right after I have chosen the correct BSP files and said yes to the new offset. No other errors appear before it, nor does anything look wrong. I am quite experienced with PMI, so I don't think it's me. :wink:
Note that it doesn't happen every time, only since I put in some new stuff. I have no idea what is causing it and I have never seen this dialogue box before:
Here is the exception text if it helps.

Code: Select all

************** Exception Text **************
System.Xml.XmlException: The root element is missing.
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read()
   at System.Xml.XmlValidatingReader.ReadWithCollectTextToken()
   at System.Xml.XmlValidatingReader.Read()
   at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserveWhitespace)
   at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader)
   at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(String filename)
   at HaloSoundTools.MapBuilder.ProcessFile(META_FILE_STRUCT& mFile)
   at HaloSoundTools.MapBuilder.ProcessDependency(Dependency& dep, String strCaller)
   at HaloSoundTools.MapBuilder.ProcessFile(META_FILE_STRUCT& mFile)
   at HaloSoundTools.MapBuilder.BuildMap(String strSourceMap, String[] strBuildFiles, Boolean bSPMP)
   at HaloSoundTools.MapRebuildStarter.btnBuild_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
I am rebuilding b40.map for Halo PC using HMT v3.5. If anybody can help, it would be great, because I'll have to abandon my biggest ever mod if I can't get this solved. And this makes me very :(

EDIT: I have been thinking. This may be to do with conure's 'string fixer' which I used on the map from which I extracted the tags. Could that be the cause of the problem? HMT not being able to read the tags? If so, how can I fix it?
Domnio

Post by Domnio »

This doesn't really belong in the programming/scripting section...

I'm not sure why that error has happened maybe it's the program it says "root element missing" so must be an error somewhere int he syntax idk
RaVNzCRoFT removed my signature because it contained too many lines of text. I'll read the rules next time.
Philly

Collaborator

Post by Philly »

I put this is in the scripting and programming section because I thought it was more related to that sort of thing, rather than an error I made, but thanks anyway. 8)
Patrickh

Wordewatician 500

Post by Patrickh »

System.Xml.XmlException: The root element is missing.
at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read()
at System.Xml.XmlValidatingReader.ReadWithCollectTextToken()
at System.Xml.XmlValidatingReader.Read()
at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserveWhitespace)
at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader)
at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(String filename)

this shows that there is a root element missing in an xml file somewhere. that narrows it down to your xml files. look at files of interest (bsp, scenario etc) and try opening them with internet explorer. IE will not open them unless they function, and if it doesn't, it will tell you the problem. assuming the problem is a bug in hmt that creates an XML syntax error, you might be able to find it in this way. worth a shot :wink:

good luck philly
conure says: or i could jsut incase my shoes in papar mache, followed by my dog
|||Lethargy||| Mr. Mohawk|||
|||feel free to contact me via PMs, AIM, MSNM, or Xfire if you have any questions|||
Philly

Collaborator

Post by Philly »

It turns out that it was one of those files, because I just replaced them with a bunch of clean ones. My map has rebuilt fine. I can't believe I never take the easy route, before wasting everybody's time with these questions. But thankyou everybody for sharing your knowledge and wisdom; you have helped to solve my problem. :)