[WIP] Observatory

Finish a new model/mesh? Got something you're working on? Finish a new map? Here's the place to post it for feedback and whatnot.
metkillerjoe

Wordewatician 500

Post by metkillerjoe »

Ok I'll work on this base alittle bit then.

Last night I succesfully made the bump map for the team signs.
RaVNzCRoFT

Grunge Pyre

Post by RaVNzCRoFT »

Fix up the geometry on that updated base, add some cool interior, and use it. I think that's the best one.
metkillerjoe

Wordewatician 500

Post by metkillerjoe »

I'm afraid that map progress is stalling. There are two reasons:

1. I need sleep because I am sick and because I have school tomorrow

2. I've been trying to fix some open edge problems on the base with absolutely no success, so that'll take a while to figure out. :cry:

Two good things though:

1. 4 day weekend coming up

2. I'll post IN GAME shots of the map and base come weekend.

I'm afraid that this week is just a bunch of tests and quizzes from various subjects. I'm a sophomore at a private high school and I got bogged down with HW and studying and probably will be for the next week.

So, again, sorry, but there probably won't be that many updates during this week except on the weekends. :cry:
{D

Post by {D »

This looks good, keep it up. Just take your time on the models, you don't have to rush.
rossmum

Post by rossmum »

Good luck :)
The science of Kaboom

Post by The science of Kaboom »

this will be one good map! good luck!
Sig over 3 lines.
metkillerjoe

Wordewatician 500

Post by metkillerjoe »

The science of Kaboom wrote:this will be one good map! good luck!
I hope people will still say that now :oops: . I looked at the screen shots and realized the geometry still needs about a weekend or two of work.

Thankfully, though, I have a four day weekend.

Without further adoe here is Observatory (landscapes):

Before:

After:

More screenshots:

Metal Bump Mapping

Need many suggestions on how to make this geomtry look better.

This'll need a lot of improvement, I know, but I'm willing so long as you guys are willing to help by telling me what you think needs the most improvement and least.

I should also mention that this will be looked at by a professional who might hire me over the summer to make some game levels. Its one of these:

http://www.bostonpostmortem.org/bostongamedev.htm

Its south of Boston actually.

Again, thanks for all the support so far, I really hope that I can get this thing out before Christmas.
The science of Kaboom

I thing that cuaght my eye was a hill in the picture with the mc holding the ar. One of the hills looks like a small mountain it would look better if you lowered the vertex some.
Sig over 3 lines.
metkillerjoe

Wordewatician 500

Post by metkillerjoe »

The science of Kaboom wrote:I thing that cuaght my eye was a hill in the picture with the mc holding the ar. One of the hills looks like a small mountain it would look better if you lowered the vertex some.
Thanks. That was something I noticed as well.

I'll correct it. :)
dos mes

Post by dos mes »

The base is looking really nice :) Keep it up
Reaper Man

Post by Reaper Man »

lol... I don't see anything in that map that makes me wanna play it.
rossmum

Post by rossmum »

Course not, you're too busy admiring DoD...

Make the terrain look a bit more natural (smooth, rolling hills, gradual changes in elevation rather than dramatic and odd-looking spires that just stick out of flat ground), fix the nonplanar faces or smoothing errors on the base top (probably the former, the lighting would be doing weird things with the nonplanars meaning it shows the triangles lit differently like that), and work on the ground texture. Add lots of cover (rocks, trees, etc.) but make sure they suit the map's style.
Reaper Man

Post by Reaper Man »

i still think the map is meh, no sense of design or gameplay whatsoever

and stop buggin me about makin a dod map ross Image
metkillerjoe

Wordewatician 500

Post by metkillerjoe »

Reaper Man wrote:i still think the map is meh, no sense of design or gameplay whatsoever

and stop buggin me about makin a dod map ross Image
Well, ok, fine, you don't have to play the level. That's fine with me :) .

The reason I put the level up is that people will say, "Oh that could be iimproved."

If you don't like the map AT ALL I especially want your opinion on what is needs to be fixed.

I'm guessing that you're one of those elite persons that think that their
maps are awesome, beautiful, and skillfully crafted, and I'm not doubting that. In fact, I would love your critisizm.

No really, I would.

Sir, if I thought this map was a complete and total failure do you think I would even waste my time with it? Not my time is valuable, that is not the case I assure you, but I still consider a waste of time a waste of time.

Now, back to the topic at hand. I'm going to redo the bump maps and of course the geometry of the base and the mountains.

Again, if you don't like it the least you can do is contribute ideas and thoughts.
The science of Kaboom

boy in that picture with the mc holding the gun, after practically his whole life in the military youd expect him to hold the stock against his shoulder.
I have one idea for the map, have like a bunch of like rocks and boulders in between the bases so you can sneak up and get cover from snipers.
Sig over 3 lines.
metkillerjoe

Wordewatician 500

Post by metkillerjoe »

The science of Kaboom wrote:boy in that picture with the mc holding the gun, after practically his whole life in the military youd expect him to hold the stock against his shoulder.
I have one idea for the map, have like a bunch of like rocks and boulders in between the bases so you can sneak up and get cover from snipers.
Noted.

I was actually planning on that. Its a good thing that the scenery library comes with giant boulders otherwise I'd have to make them on my own.

And about your MC comment. He is the strongest human alive or one of them at least. He could give a damn.

Us weaklings have to put it up to our shoulder.
The science of Kaboom

another idea of mine is to have like a small outpost thing per base with a helthpack and a sniper rifle.
Sig over 3 lines.
metkillerjoe

Wordewatician 500

Post by metkillerjoe »

The science of Kaboom wrote:another idea of mine is to have like a small outpost thing per base with a helthpack and a sniper rifle.
Now THAT was thought up before the bases' architecture was finalized. IN fact I made that first and put it in first. I'll get some pictures of those bases tomorrow.
rossmum

Post by rossmum »

Don't make it too easy to command the entire map from one position though. That really shits me.

Also it looks like you used a displacement map (?) to create the ground... the outer cliffs still form a box so you should try leaving some space with the displacement map so that the outer cliffs dont seem like a box from inside the map.

Hope that made sense.
metkillerjoe

Wordewatician 500

Post by metkillerjoe »

Yeah, I see what you want to do. But I didn't use a displacement map.