How to edit Halo 2 maps in Halo Cache Editor *Updated*

This forum is for files only, Utilities and Hacks go here, not skins.
adolif

Literarian 100

How to edit Halo 2 maps in Halo Cache Editor *Updated*

Post by adolif »

Yes, i know this is a tutorial in the downloads section, but for the tutorial i needed to add an attachment, and it wouldn't let me do that in the tutorials section.

Let's say you are with friends and you want to make a quick mod, or you want to make a mod without your

PC. This tutorial will tell you how to edit halo 2 maps in halo cache editor. THIS TUTORIAL WILL ONLY

ALLOW YOU TO EDIT BEAVERCREEK.MAP! If you want to edit another map, you must rename it to beavercreek.map

and edit the header (this will be in the tutorial). You also can not swap things, just edit values, but

its still fun. =>

What you need:

-A hex editor

-Halo2Resignerx, an application for the xbox that i will NOT link to due to it was programmed with the

XDK. It is a resigner that goes directly on your xbox.

-Obviously Halo Cache editor (must be v0.7)

-The ppf patch attached to this post

-A Brain

-A hex calculator or the rare abilty to do hex in your head.

-The abilty to edit your dashboard's directories for detecting games or applications.

Ok, download halo cache editor v0.7 and apply my ppf patch to it's xbe.

Halo Cache Editor for this to work must be in your halo 2 maps folder. So put it there, with default.xbe

directly in the maps folder.

Now edit your dashboard to detect games/apps at your halo 2 maps folder.

Now delete the .ini files in ur \PAL\Map\, \NTSC\MAP\, and \GER\MAP\ subdirectories of halo cache editor's

folder, assuming its already on your xbox.

Create an .ini file in all 3 of those folders named "wizard.ini"

Paste this into the ini file in notepad (its for beavercreek), i will explain it so you may learn to

create your own .ini files for H2.

[Level]

[Weapons]
Shotgun Zooms = 0x189483A > short 0->2
Shotgun zoom 1 = 0x189483C > float 0->false
Shotgun zoom 2 = 0x1894840 > float 0->false

Those hex numbers in the ini file are:

shotgun meta offset + meta suboffset

so 189463C + 1fE (the zoom count value) = 0x189483A

this is easy enough.

To make your own ini file, just base yours off of mine and change the offsets to

<meta offset> + <meta suboffset (aka value)>

Now go into beavercreek or your renamed map in a hex editor and go to offset 0x20, and type into the hex

the word "wizard"
This will fool halo cache editor to think it has a halo 1 header, trust me, i've done it.

Now boot up your halo cache editor in your maps folder and you should see if it worked the way it did on

my machine a bunch of wizards in the cache list. Select a random one, its all the same map.

Edit the shotgun or whatever to your liking.

Now shut down halo cache editor, and start up halo2resignerx, and resign beavercreek.

You may now test it now, I have done it succesfully, but if it didn't work for you, something is wrong.

I hope some people enjoy this! =>

*Edit*

I am releasing a ppf patch for containment so that if you rename it to beavercreek.map and patch it, it can be edited with my new .ini files attached to this post. With these .ini files you can:

-Swap projectiles by editing numbers
-Make damage edits
-Edit Biped Weight and Biped Jump Height

Even more will be implemented in the future, and i will release a zanzibar ini file as well soon with a ppf patch for it.

To install an ini file, put it in ur <halo 2 maps folder>\ntsc\map\

directory.

How To Swap A Projectile:

Go to a halo cache editor page that says "Rocket Launcher shoots what?"

Write down the values "part 1", part 2", "part 3", and "part 4."

Now go to the "Shotgun Shoots What?" page.

Set the values "part 1", part 2", "part 3", and "part 4." to the numbers you wrote down from "Rocket Launcher shoots what?"

If you did it right, which it takes trial and error since the values sometimes change on you, The shotgun should shoot rockets.

You also may have to reload the map in halo cache editor to see if the values applied correctly.

Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ktsDfPI4YE
Attachments
ini_files.zip
(3.98 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
containment.ppf.zip
(186 Bytes) Downloaded 11 times
hce_xbe.ppf.zip
(272 Bytes) Downloaded 12 times
Last edited by adolif on Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Adolif
http://adomods.tk
I like pie.
Shock120

Post by Shock120 »

what does this achieve? I'm seriously don't know.
coz it's easier to edit the maps directly.
Shock120 on XLink & XBC
adolif

Literarian 100

Post by adolif »

Shock120 wrote:what does this achieve? I'm seriously don't know.
achieve? what about fun? gosh, halo cache editor isnt for achieving things, its actually more like, if you want to play split screen with a friend you and him you can set settings you can't do in gametypes etc. i use it alot, and for the reason i just stated.

i thought some people would be happy its possible, but you don't seem to be one of them.

ah well. if nobody turns out to like it, this tutorial didn't take me an incredibly long time to make.
-Adolif
http://adomods.tk
I like pie.
Shock120

Post by Shock120 »

adolif wrote:
Shock120 wrote:what does this achieve? I'm seriously don't know.
achieve? what about fun? gosh, halo cache editor isnt for achieving things, its actually more like, if you want to play split screen with a friend you and him you can set settings you can't do in gametypes etc. i use it alot, and for the reason i just stated.
You could edit the Mainmenu to do those settings in entity, or use a gametype editor called Sav3r.
Do you even know what cache is? :roll:
adolif wrote:ALLOW YOU TO EDIT BEAVERCREEK.MAP! If you want to edit another map, you must rename it to beavercreek.map
So what this does is provides a sort or template, that will automatically edit the maps when the name has changed, but reverts back to normal when unrenamed.
adolif wrote:i thought some people would be happy its possible, but you don't seem to be one of them.
Incase you didn't notice Halo 2 modding is dead, I bet even the (currently) complete H2V - H2X Bsp conversions wouldn't save it.
Shock120 on XLink & XBC
CptnNsan0

Stylist Snitch! Collaborator Commentator

Post by CptnNsan0 »

why are you being such a downer shock?
Not Removing This
DarkShallFall

Artisan Recreator Trickster Connoisseur
Advisor Pyre Renovator Sigma
Snitch! Enthraller New Age Miner

Post by DarkShallFall »

Halo 2 modding isn't dead. I'm still here, and working on things better then ever. I've got something big for you guys, soon.
Iron_Forge wrote:I assume I won?..I should get an emblem...
sneakyn8

Post by sneakyn8 »

yeah its definately not dead ill be right back to it as soon as my xbox is ficksed
newbymodder

Blacksmith Articulatist 500

Post by newbymodder »

my sentiments exactly, and your not seeing the point of him posting this. He gave a tutorial on how to use the halo cache editor to edit halo 2 maps, i say good job on posting this tutorial, sure there are easier ways of doing it if you have you xbox always hooked up to your pc but it's the fact that he took time to figure it out and post it that really matters.

PS. Dark i can't wait and i hope everyone likes my mod im working on 8)
Join Halo 2.5, Can't stop never stop modding halo 2 http://www.halo25.co.nr/
Shock120

Post by Shock120 »

CptnNsan0 wrote:why are you being such a downer shock?
I'm j/k I'm posting spoilers lol :wink:
Shock120 wrote:Incase you didn't notice Halo 2 modding is dead, I bet even the (currently) complete H2V - H2X Bsp conversions wouldn't save it.
Now what could I be Indicating. :roll:
Last edited by Shock120 on Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Shock120 on XLink & XBC
Evilsnowflakes

Connoisseur

Post by Evilsnowflakes »

DarkShallFall wrote:Halo 2 modding isn't dead. I'm still here, and working on things better then ever. I've got something big for you guys, soon.
Bigger is better, much better.
Remember, Violence is always the answer.
newbymodder

Post by newbymodder »

Shock120 wrote:
Shock120 wrote:Incase you didn't notice Halo 2 modding is dead, I bet even the (currently) complete H2V - H2X Bsp conversions wouldn't save it.
if there done then how come no ones released a map yet?
Shock120

Post by Shock120 »

newbymodder wrote:
Shock120 wrote:
if there done then how come no ones released a map yet?
because the person who can do it, doesn't feel Halo 2 X is worth it. basically he's moved on to Halo 2 Vista and he's doing pretty well. I may move on, but I'll still hold onto some hope. :roll:
Shock120 on XLink & XBC
newbymodder

Post by newbymodder »

man thats a downer,he needs to release a tut on how to do it so others can. That would help h2 x modding so much. I don't even have to tell you think of the possibilities with that because if you have ever played h2v you know what the possibilities are lol.
kibito87

Stylist Connoisseur Advisor Bloodhound
Droplet Articulatist 500

Post by kibito87 »

Shock120 wrote:because the person who can do it, doesn't feel Halo 2 X is worth it. basically he's moved on to Halo 2 Vista and he's doing pretty well. I may move on, but I'll still hold onto some hope. :roll:
Give me some sort of evidence of this. I don't like to be the pessimist but I don't believe you for one second based on typed words alone.
Shock120

Post by Shock120 »

kibito87 wrote:
Shock120 wrote:because the person who can do it, doesn't feel Halo 2 X is worth it. basically he's moved on to Halo 2 Vista and he's doing pretty well. I may move on, but I'll still hold onto some hope. :roll:
Give me some sort of evidence of this. I don't like to be the pessimist but I don't believe you for one second based on typed words alone.
someone we know.
He's Guilty of modding H2V.
when you've finished playing the guessing game, ask him. :wink:
:lol:
Shock120 on XLink & XBC
latinomodder

Post by latinomodder »

Impressive work I must say
sneakyn8

Post by sneakyn8 »

Shock120 wrote:
kibito87 wrote:
someone we know.
He's Guilty of modding H2V.
when you've finished playing the guessing game, ask him. :wink: