Halo: realistic tech (check pg 6, suggestions please!)

Halo PC uploads. All posts must have pictures and a mod to download. Use PPF always, unless the map is rebuilt.
AbeFroman

Wordewatician 500

Post by AbeFroman »

I think this might be the first time in halo modding history that a mod has had an actual "expansion"

Before i begin...i wanted to say the most important modding tool i used for this mod was not HMT or HHT, but the modding discussion forum, i've learned a lot from posting issues there...and while im on that topic, thanks to everyone who helped with any issues i posted with this mod

so here's what the mod is...

basically, you play as a marine...one hella lucky marine to be able to survive what MC went through on halo...

it took some PMIs to get marines in on the last few maps, so some maps aren't ppfed... the bitmaps aren't ppfed because i used the EOF trick to apply the First person arms skin to JUST the SP maps since you don't play as a marine in multiplayer...(see deadhamster's post above)

i had originally planned for the original to play as a marine, but i thought some people might not like the different gameplay, since you lack shields as a marine, and because of the pings from getting hit (which i tried my best to get rid of), for those of you who don't know what pinging is, here is a pic of me pinging from a hit

for the most part, i fixed the problems above...but they still exist in some manner...for example...you still have shields...it's meant to represent body armor...but the shield meter and the health meter don't show up, for some reason, neither does the motion tracker...above pic shows that and despite having full shields, infection forms can still latch onto you (and not to mention sometimes it is so hard that it SEEMS like you have no shields :lol:)which brings me to my next subtopic

the AI, it was smarter in the original, but now, with more experience, i have learned how to make it even smarter...now you may just actually WANT your friends, the marines, by your side

a couple levels have dynamic lighting

i THINK that since i had to upload the entire bitmaps.map you will get V2's bloodgulch sand texture

all the weapons and vehicles that were useable in the original are useable as a marine. it was hard to remember though so i MIGHT have forgotten to do it on a couple maps...MIGHT...

so i made the flood levels harder in the original...so now i'm making it even HARDER by turning you into a marine?!...no...just no...flood projectile error is beefed up...i wish the flood good luck on hitting you with guns, but for the most part they charge you and don't even try to use guns

bugs: the cutscenes...whenever the new marine main character (who i've named Tyler) is supposed to perform an animation that the master chief has but he doesn't, he decides he sees the devil and forms a cross., but when he isn't doing that the cutscenes look awesome with a marine in MC's place

the example above where the shields are there, but you can't see them and infection forms still latch on to you...but also as long as your shields are up, you are immune to pings, but once your shields are down, you'll start pinging from hits

some times, specifically when you are "berserking" after taking too many hits, which is another bug that goes under this subtopic, if you turn around and try to shoot while moving, you won't hit where you're aiming.

on two betrayals... STAY AWAY FROM THE WARTHOG, dont try to flip it and get in, that warthog is an exception land mine, i will be sure to fix this in version 2 don't worry, didn't think anyone would want the hog anyways since the ghost has higher ROF, more damage, faster projectiles, and faster movement speed, and you don't need marines to fill up the seats in order for the guns to work :P

on The Maw...at some random points in the level...yes completely random, i can't point out the parts where this happens...but i would just RANDOMLY get a surprise exception, especially when i was getting way into the game...it sucked :cry: anyhoo, the bug isn't that, it is that the maw remains unchanged because of that...no d40.map for you!, like the 2 betrayals warthog exception, i will be sure to fix this in V2 and include the maw in the mod

grenades don't work, Tyler just drops them at his feet, but they make good booby traps if covenant or flood are chasing you

now that i've told you what this mod is, now it's time to tell you what it isn't!

1. this is NOT just a meta swap mod, although the concept revolves around meta swaps, a lot of time and effort went into this
2. this is NOT version 2, although there are a couple things from V2 in this, it is NOT v2, if i had to say what version it is, i would say like v1.23
3. but...it ISN't v1.23, it is just an "expansion" of v1

ok, now for some pics

first person hannnnnndzzzz

Tyler don't like shiny lights

there is no i in team...there is no i in ego either

no need for a description here, it's in the picture already

a group of covenant demonstrate why you shouldn't stay too close together

at first i thought it would be impossible to take a pic of the ai, but what if i told you i had nothing to do with this fight?
body count:
Covenant
1 Jackal
8 grunts
2 blue elites
1 gold sword elite

UNSC
5 marines went in, 2 came out, oorah!

these are the 2 that survived

the halomods attachment system still hates me so heres a rapidshare link...it was a long upload so it might be a long DL too

http://rapidshare.de/files/40171165/HRT ... n.rar.html

Poll: Do you guys think i should release more camo skins?
for example, snow camo marines, woodland camo hogs, desert camo sniper...etc, i think it'd be neat, i'm also thinking about putting "marine-style" sunglasses on desert camo marines, or some other things on the snow camo marines like balaclava, gloves, ballistic goggles.
"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
- T.S. Eliot
timmy42

Post by timmy42 »

wow very nice mod man... camo's would be nice, especially for a theme in multiplayer, like snow camos on a snow map or desert on a desert map...

few questions: did you edit any other guns?
why is the elite energy sword still there?
any remodeling?
could you go into more detail on weapons/vehicles and their skins?

thanks... looks great
Corvette19

Snitch!

Post by Corvette19 »

Good job, AbeFroman... I will give you a tip... "Never ever ever ever ever EVER EVER EVER do meta swaps. Use HHT and change the dependencies." The end result is much cleaner.
By the way... If you didn't do meta swaps, you could still have your HUD as a marine =P.
Last edited by Corvette19 on Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Xfire = corvette19
WaeV wrote:Mess around with stuff, make exceptions, get messy! Do something we've never seen before.
Brendando

Post by Brendando »

The way this is being taken on is very impressive. Some better skins, and this will be very nice.
Life is like a chocolate;
over-valued, wrapped in sweet pretenses,
and full of unknown substances;
all consumed too soon, before you've realised what you've done.
Corvette19

Snitch!

Post by Corvette19 »

Note: Change that to whatever marine voice you want.

This is how you would set up a Marine the correct way.
Xfire = corvette19
WaeV wrote:Mess around with stuff, make exceptions, get messy! Do something we've never seen before.
AbeFroman

Wordewatician 500

Post by AbeFroman »

yeah, i heard stuff about swapping dependencies instead of metas from the almighty modding discussion forum, i had plans to re-do all these with dependency swaps in V2

as for the skins, what would you suggest?

as for the camo poll, there is only one vote, but it says yes, so i'm gonna go right ahead and do it
"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
- T.S. Eliot
Corvette19

Snitch!

Post by Corvette19 »

Camo Skins=yes
Xfire = corvette19
flea925

Post by flea925 »

Corvette19 wrote:Camo Skins=yes
guysullavin wrote:lucky you! free sammich!
DeadHamster

Snitch! Advisor Articulatist 500

Post by DeadHamster »

Hey, the marine's named after me. Thank you so much, I had no clue you looked up to me like that.
Corvette19

Snitch!

Post by Corvette19 »

<33
Xfire = corvette19
AbeFroman

Wordewatician 500

Post by AbeFroman »

lol i really had no idea, i named him after Tyler Durden from fight club

and timmy, here's some answers to your questions...

1, the sword is still there because i turned off the "detonate when dropped" thing, since this is a realism mod and i didn't think that was realistic...it's just eye candy you can't use it

2. all information about modified weapons and such is in the first post

3. no remodeling, i don't know how to model
Last edited by AbeFroman on Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- T.S. Eliot
DeadHamster

Post by DeadHamster »

Liar. No Need To Be Modest. :P
AbeFroman

Wordewatician 500

Post by AbeFroman »

ok, work on new sets of camo skins has begun http://forums.halomods.com/viewtopic.ph ... 972#807972

maybe in V2 i'll use these camo skins to make the vehicle/weapon camo change on each map like timmy suggested
- T.S. Eliot
AbeFroman

Wordewatician 500

Post by AbeFroman »

sorry for the double post, but i need opinions on this:
What do you guys think of a secondary fire grenade launcher for the AR? it will be a lot of work, but i'm willing to do it, it seems like a cool thing to try
- T.S. Eliot
DeadHamster

Post by DeadHamster »

Thats not a lot of work at all. Its actually very very easy.

And to answer your question. Yes.
AbeFroman

Wordewatician 500

Post by AbeFroman »

well there are 2 tuts needed to do it and one of them is labeled as hard and needs Hex editing, which will make this my first Hex edit attempt
- T.S. Eliot
DeadHamster

Post by DeadHamster »

Its just replace. for Hex Workshop you hit CTRL+H, select text string, type in the original name, type in your name, make sure they have the same amount of characters, then hit enter, replace all.

If you need any help with it feel free to PM me or Xfire: DeadHamst3r.
AbeFroman

Wordewatician 500

Post by AbeFroman »

we'll see when i get there, right now i'm working on the camo skins i linked to earlier while i wait for some things i need to make V2
- T.S. Eliot
AbeFroman

Wordewatician 500

Post by AbeFroman »

i was browsing the forums earlier and i learned about HEXing new names onto weapons and vehicles...
what do you guys think?
Sniper (M82A6 SASR)

AR (FN F7000)

Rocket launcher (AT9)

Pistol (.50 magnum Mark XXI Desert Eagle)

shotgun (Remington 3400 Tactical shotgun)

tank (M5 Abrams Main Battle tank
sorry for the double post again, but i need feedback on whether or not this is a good idea
- T.S. Eliot
Corvette19

Snitch!

Post by Corvette19 »

You can only add names that are smaller or exact same length.
Xfire = corvette19